Thursday, March 6, 2008

it sucks to be beautiful

You know it took me many years to come to terms with the fact that I wasn't all that good looking. I know I'm not ugly, but I'm definitely not an oil painting, unless I was drawn by Picasso, then maybe I'd fit right in.

So when I say that it sucks to be beautiful, I'm not saying it out of spite, I readily accept the fact that I'm not a good looking fellow, in fact I make the most of what I have, and life runs quite smoothly.

But truly I say to you, it sucks to be good looking, why do you ask? how can I possibly cast aspersions on the perfect?

Firstly, as I was reading somewhere, beautiful people are automatically assessed on a higher level than us regular people. Most people automatically assume that good looking people are smarter, funnier, more successful than your average person. Now on the surface this seems all well and good, but there is an underlying current of expectation, a need to live up to this, and frankly, looks don't govern any internal qualities, lets face it, physical beauty is only skin deep. So will beautiful people always be able to live up to these expectations, in my experience, no, they rarely do.

Secondly, people approach good looking people all the time, shyly or boldly, beautiful people are approached all the time, for friendship, for relationships. So yeah on the surface it would seem that a good looking person could have anyone they wanted. Though one has to wonder how many beautiful people find truly meaningful relationships in all the choice that they have? It must be something to have to second guess every conversation, every motivation, every word, every look, seeking that sincerity, that honesty only to be disappointed time and again. I can't imagine the pain. And the isolation.

Finally, beautiful people usually suffer from what I like to call, poor personality development, basically at 20 they've got the personality of a 10 year old, and not even a deep 10 year old, I'm talking as shallow as the ocean is deep, shallow. So yeah, beautiful on the outside, incorporeal on the inside. I suppose guys don't suffer as much here from the lack of personality, since we're usually about spoon deep. However a girl without a personality is fine while she's beautiful, 40 years down the road, and her looks are well lets say she won't be getting many looks and with her personality about as evolved as the doorknob since it's inception, I don't think it's going to be a pretty picture.

To sum it up cynical as I may seem, life truly screwed over beautiful people. It's terrible to realize that what makes you unique, is your greatest flaw. So beautiful people, I feel sorry for you. At least you've got each other. There is a rainbow in every storm.

Peace.

No comments: