Monday, March 31, 2008

homosexuality, my thoughts

Homosexuality is wrong. Agree with it or not this, my belief and opinion is.

I am a Christian, my opinion is formed based on my belief in the bible, the bible is the only text that I can base such a belief in or form so strongly an opinion. It is the outline, the template, the guide, the first and only text that a Christian can and should refer to when speaking on any matter.

My belief is based on, Leviticus 20:13 which states, " 'If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They must be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads.” However I know that Christ said in John 8, verse 7 to be exact, when asked what to do about a woman who was caught in adultery, as with all sin, also punishable by death, Christ said “He who is without sin among you, let him be the first to throw a stone at her." Further on Paul in Romans 3:23 “for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God” Paul goes on to state in Romans 8 that “Therefore there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.“ These verses and a score more form the basis for my belief that homosexuality is wrong and why I love homosexuals.

You may think I am a fanatic. That is an unfortunate label put on anyone who so much as hints that he reads a religious text, goes to a religious organization, or in some cases if he believes in God.

So I ask myself, am I a fanatic?

The dictionary states that a fanatic is “A person marked or motivated by an extreme, unreasoning enthusiasm, as for a cause.”

Am I motivated by an extreme, unreasoning enthusiasm, for a cause? No. I am well reasoned within the basis of my beliefs and the references that I use to come a logical conclusion. I have asked myself the following questions to further understand if what I believe is extreme and unreasoned.

Do I hate homosexuals? No.

Do I wish to cause them harm? No.

Do I think they should be allowed to be married by the secular government? Yes.

Do I think that they have every right to live their lives the way they wish? Yes.

Do I think they should be persecuted, badgered, harmed, condemned or in any way have their rights as human beings violated? No.

Do I have friends who are homosexuals? Yes.

Do I love them? With all my heart, yes.

Should they be allowed to be married in church? No.

Should they be allowed to be priests? No.

Should they be allowed to adopt children? No.

Should they be allowed to attend church? Yes, church is for the sinners, not the saints.

I am not without sin, I cast no stones. I condemn no person. I condemn the way of life.

I condemn homosexuality, not homosexuals.

I go back again to what I believe in, that which has been knitted into the fabric of my being, the bible.

Sexual relations between members of the same sex is wrong, just as sexual relations between heterosexuals is wrong before marriage, the difference here is that heterosexuals have the option of a union sanctified by God. Homosexuals do not. Yes God does love homosexuals; he also loves rapists, murders, thieves, liars, prostitutes, child molesters, necrophiliacs and all the other conceivable types of sinner that exists. However that does not mean He condones any of it. Each sin has a price that must be paid. I am fortunate that my sins have been atoned for by Christ when He died for me and you on the cross. That atonement is within reach of every person. Salvation is free for all who believe and accept Christ as their Lord and Saviour.

So again I state, I condemn homosexuality, not homosexuals. For simplicity sake I shall refer to homosexuals as he rather than having to type he/she.

Homosexuality is the way of life, the act, a mechanism by which a human being can sin.

The homosexual is the person who can’t help how he feels, but still has the choice to not give into his urges.

I battle with urges and vices all the time, so does every other living human being. If you say you have no urges or vices whatsoever you are only kidding yourself.

Simply because we have urges does that mean we should act on them? Are we not better than animals? Are we not sentient beings? Can we not reason right and wrong?

If I see a woman walking down the street, and within me I feel an urge to have sex with her, does that mean I should approach her and rape her?

Or if I see a person drop his wallet on the ground and I feel the urge to keep it for myself, does it then mean that I should do exactly that?

Or if I feel compelled to hit someone because of an urge in me to do so, does it than make it alright?

In all these cases no. And there are literarily thousands upon thousands of scenarios that can further exemplify the point I’m making.

Though some might say what is right and what is wrong? I say I refer to the bible as my moral conscience and guide. That is my yard stick for right and wrong.

Some may argue that because they do not believe in the bible what then is their moral yard stick.

I say look at Darwin’s theory of evolution, evolution can only take place through the continued perpetuation of a species. A species that can only breed asexually will eventually die out because it continues to replicate itself until its genetic material is no longer useable. It is why the best form of procreation is done between gendered species, where does homosexuality fit in here? I am no great mind but I think homosexuality would be counterproductive to evolution. And while this may not be a moral yard stick, it’s definitely an indicator to some extent the uselessness of homosexuality to humanity’s evolution.

I digress.

Now why do I bring up homosexuality? I suppose it’s because I’m angry that the church has not outright condemned it, because the church continues to pussyfoot around the issue of homosexual priests who practice homosexuality, because the church will not stand up for what its faith is based on, the bible. I bring it up because society tells me that I’m a bigot if I don’t accept homosexuality, in response I say that society is bigoted against me because society has become intolerant of my belief in my religions teachings.

I ask you, why should I accept homosexuality when it goes against the fundamental believes of my religion? Does homosexuality and those practicing it accept Christianity, my way of life?

Why should the church be told that is has to accept homosexuality?

Why should the church be forced to ordain people whose lives are in opposition to the very beliefs of the establishment?

Here is my analogy, if you become a member of a club, you must sign a legal document saying that you will adhere to all the rules and regulations, if you don’t you forfeit your membership.

Similarly there are rules to live by in Christianity, if you don’t live by them you sin and go to hell, fortunately God is a forgiving sort and if you ask in earnest, you will be forgiven. If I want to continue being a Christian I need to lives by those rules. I ask you then how can a priest, a leader of the church practice homosexuality? And yet I’m told to accept it. This is my anger.

Have I offended you? Though not the intention of this post its content may have that effect. I apologize for offending you but not for what I have written.

I am biased, but then again there exist very few unbiased opinions in the world, a person practicing homosexuality would also be biased as I a practicing Christian am biased.

I do not impose my opinion on you, nor do I impose my beliefs, I do however stand by them.

So to you, who have read this, please comment back on how this post made you feel. I will be honest and say I don’t respond kindly to profanity, so please keep the comments relevant.

No bashing of homosexuals will be tolerated.

Peace.

5 comments:

Sage said...

"So I ask myself, am I a fanatic?"

Fanatics bring the FUN back in FUNdamentalism....hahaha =P

Unknown said...

I agree!!

Tristan said...

lol

CHARISMA said...

I'm totally with you on this dude!

Just like how one pastor said, that him not agreeing on homosexuality does not mean he would reject homosexuals

Joos1986 said...

nima. . . dude. . stop youtubing obscure middle-eastern stand up comedians. . and then slaughter their jokes online. . . heh heh. . . that dude is funny tho. . .