Saturday, April 19, 2008

my thoughts on love

Not long ago I wrote about my understanding of the difference between liking a person and loving a person, here.

Someone once said

"Love is giving someone every power in the world to destroy you and trusting them not to"

I subscribe to that school of thought. I open myself to hurt every time I love someone. I give the other person power over me and I think love is a scary thing, but I think we open ourselves to it because we are never more alive than when we are loving another person or being loved in return.

It's like Victor Hugo said

"What a grand thing, to be loved! What a grander thing still, to love!"

And damnit that french guy was right! I find no greater thing to do in the world than being able to love other people. Though when I love I don't expect to be loved in return, I hope for it but I never expect it. I obviously want to be loved, I don't reject love. I just never expect the people in my life to love me. I'm thankful that they do. Very thankful. My love isn't about what the other person can do for me, but what I can do for the other person. My love is an act of service.

And you know I like this Victor fellow and his thoughts, I agree with him,

"Life's greatest happiness is to be convinced we are loved."

There is no greater feeling than the knowledge that you are loved.

Know that you are loved by me.

1 comment:

Opium said...

i thought…

Love is like cutting out your, putting it on a slippery silver platter and asking someone to walk over rope tied between the mouth of a volcano, without dropping your heart into the volcano.

…….its hard to find someone to trust that much!!!

But this definition explains it so much better…

Love is giving someone every power in the world to destroy you and trusting them not to"

How true it is……but I don’t think I’m brave enough to let someone have that much power over me.