Friday, April 4, 2008

the day i fell in love with prague

I think I was about 8 years old when I fell in love with Prague. It was a random event in my life, I saw a picture of this building and a street in Prague, and I told myself I would see that one day in person. To this day that picture still comes to me vividly.

As I grew up and learned more of Prague and what was formerly known as Czechoslovakia, I grew even more and more enchanted with the country and the people and the language. It is a world straight out of a fairy tale. The buildings, the countryside, the beauty of it all is so amazing, so engaging, inspiring. My heart yearns to see that beauty in person. If there was any place in the world I could be right now Prague would be that place. I would hide there forever it is my holy grail.

I met a guy from Panama, no he is not Czech or Slovakian. He's pretty awesome though. I mention him because of what I'm told he did, he apparently fell in love with Malaysia, learned the language, became a Muslim all before getting here. AWESOME! I wish I could do that, leave this country, learn the language, and live there in Prague. I want to do it so badly. Maybe when I've finished this degree. Maybe. Even if I never live there I want to see it before the world ends, or I die whenever that maybe.

There are other places in this world that I would like to see before I die or the world ends whichever happens first.

I would like to see the Sistine Chapel in the Vatican City, I would like to live in Italy for sometime, I would like to live in Greece for sometime, specifically near the sea. I would like to visit France, the Louvre, Paris, how amazing would it be to see all those works of art? I would like to see the hills of Scotland, and the beauty of Ireland's countryside. I want to go to Alaska simply to say I have. These are the things I would like to do. Maybe. Maybe.

And of course there is all the food to try.

With that I leave you this little piece of advice that Eleanor Roosevelt wrote

"The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience."

So perhaps I will. And you should do the same.

No comments: