Tuesday, September 2, 2008

mortality: God's gift to humanity

Immortality

If you could, would you live forever?

I don't think I would.

I believe it is our frailty, our mortality that makes us beautiful. The very fact that every second that passes us by is a second closer to our death makes the next second to come even more precious than the one that passed. I realize that sounds depressing and it is if you only focus on death and if you fear it. I believe because our time on earth is numbered it makes the smile on the face in front of you or the laugh of the person beside you or simply the eyes of the person across the hall from you all that more amazing to behold.

So it would seem to me that immortality on earth would only cheapen the experience. The smile, the laugh, the eyes would all be so banal. Losing all charm and what would be the point of living if everything around you lost its flavor. What then? I believe mortality is God's gift to us. We really should learn to cherish the time we've been allotted and make the most of the smiles and the laughs and people that are sent our way. I am learning to do that.

I'm continually star struck by how amazing some the people I meet are. Their little quirks and idiosyncrasies making them more than the sum their parts. These fascinating people are usually more aware of the world around them. They are not the stereotypes. In a world of the mundane, they see newness. I find them utterly fascinating. Maybe they see life like me. Maybe I'm more aware of the world around me.

I have these people in my heart. I hope I'm in theirs.

No comments: