Sunday, October 5, 2008

no my dear you aren't perfect

You aren't perfect my dear and that is why He loves you. That is why I love you.

A friend and I discuss the perfect example of being a Christian, she tells me she's definitely not a good example of a Christian, I ask her when did she become perfect? I tell her, I remember her being human and trying and that is what counts. I say the only perfect example is Christ, she concurs.

We are trying to emulate a life that is completely foreign to our nature, some of us are closer than others. I reckon I'm pretty far behind and she is way ahead, I still try though.

We talk about God and his work, I think no one can truly stand in the way of God's work, except us with His work in our lives. We are the measure of the success or failure for the plans He has for us. We decide whether or not God's plan for us comes to pass.

If I make myself immovable then God cannot use me. But He can still move me out of the way so that someone else may benefit from His grace and His plan. Some days I fear that has already happened to me. Much like the branch of the tree that doesn't bear fruit must be removed so that the rest of the tree maybe preserved, I fear I have been cut away. It's lonely without Him. Though it does also say in the bible that just as it can be cut away, it can also be reattached, graphed back onto the tree.

Though I think it's the flaws in us and how God helps us to overcome them that makes us useful to Him. If we were perfect to start with we would have no stories to tell of how we were refined, our ministry would be without substance and we would never be able to reach out. The bible talks about God putting us through the refiner's fire to make us pure gold, so that we may be set apart to do His will. The strife we go through makes us into what we need to be in order to accomplish what is needed of us.

So no my dear you aren't perfect but that is what makes you perfect for Him.

Completely perfect imperfection. Now it's your turn to write.

No comments: