Tuesday, August 10, 2010

tattoos, more





















I've always loved tattoos. I've always wanted a tattoo (READ: MANY TATTOOS). And of late I've been giving them very serious thought.

I've seen a great many tattoos and I realise that originality is not something you're going to find if you're not able to draw your own artwork. Or unless you find someone with the ability to visualise what's in your head.

Above are two more tattoo designs that I'm considering.

The one on the left is "girly" by all accounts. But I see more to it. I like the general idea of vines and and thorns warping my arms with a flower or something of beauty to bait an unobservant passerby

Symbolically I've always felt that I've needed to guard myself with thorns to keep myself from being hurt. Hence as a friend of mine put it, I come across as caustic in nature. I would probably never compare myself to a rose but like a song I know goes and is apt to describe my nature "to touch the rose un-fearful is to meet the thorn".  You could say, I've always been a person that people approach with ease till I've stung them with my words, words they aren't expecting because of how pleasant I seem.

The second is a celtic knot of eternity. It reminds me of the Christian symbol of the trinity. Again it speaks to my nature, always chasing the infinite eternity. To always wanting all the time to do whatever. Eternity means time has no definition. You can never feel like you're out of time.

It brings home the latin saying that has become the motto of my existence "Non Sum Qualis Eram" I am not what I once was. Eternity can mean complacency or an ever shifting landscape. My eternity is an ever shifting landscape.

In my earlier post I highlighted the fifth tattoo as my favourite, if you see my general theme. You will see my fascination with simplicity. I strive for it. I might have highlighted the dragon but truthfully I wouldn't tattoo that on my body. It's just not me. My fascinations are with light and darkness. Good and evil. The duality of all things.

For example, I would tattoo an angel on my body and a skull. The skull is not inherently evil nor is the angel inherently good, though popular belief would say otherwise. Skulls while scary in nature have nothing to hide, the hollowness of them can hide no secrets, yet angels in all their beauty can manipulate and deceive.

So by the time I'm done with my body, I think I'll have quite a bit of artwork on it. Slowly.

For the time being though, I think I'm going to work with the template of the celtic knot of eternity and my latin phrase.

Let me know what you think. And if anyone knows good font styles that would be awesome. Cheers.

1 comment:

Blanca said...

Hi, im glad you posted this, I have been wanting to get a celtic tatto for a few years now but I havent found one that I want for the rest of my life. This one is the only one so far that has caught my attention. On your writing however can you not do black background and white words? It causes me to see spots evry time I look away wich makes me dizzy. If you have celtic symbols that you like I might like them too. Keep posting them please.
Thank you,
Blanca