Sunday, February 14, 2010

hypocrisy volume one - valentine's day

It's valentine's day once again and even as the morning dew saturates the air you can feel the groaning of waking hypocrisy. All across the planet couples are getting ready for tonight.

New shoes, outfits, accessories, haircuts. All in preparation of this one sadly pointless day. Made pointless by our hypocrisy. St. Valentine the patron saint of lovers, gave his life so that young roman couples could be together. He smuggled the young soldiers back from the frontlines so that they could spend some time with their lovers. For his kindness he lost his life.

But today we spit on his memory with our gross consumeralism. Our tacky gifts of chocolates and flowers. Feeding an industry that cares nothing about the well being of your relationship.

Flowers and chocolates aren't inherently bad. In fact it is a nice thing to give your loved one a gift of affection. God alone knows how much we need to love each other. The problem is that rather than see this day as a day to be corny and tacky and goofy about your relationship, the world has turned it into the penultimate day of any relationship.

You see people stress out about dinner reservations, presents. Rather than simply making time to be together.

In many relationships, you'll see how this is the only day for romance. Tragic when everyday is a day for romance. So many relationships falter because their valentine's day was less than perfect.

It saddens me, what started out as a tribute to the memory of a man who encouraged and fostered young love has turned into a petty day to feed personal desires for worldly possessions and shallow relationships.

To she who has my heart. Everyday with you is valentine's day because we always seem to find ways to make everything we do have meaning to our lives, you and I are perfectly imperfect, we compliment each other. You take me out of my mind and you make me consider the world around me. I stop to smell the flowers because you free my mind up to do so. In a mind of chaos you bring me focus.

I am turbulent, a raging torrent of thoughts and philosophies, of precepts and ideas, I am a violent storm, my very nature swallows me whole yet there you stand on the shore amidst the swirling vortex of entropy that is my life. You guide me by the hand to safety, take me like a child into your arms. You bring me peace, you keep me calm when all the world is too much to bear. You fill me up, you're in my veins. You take my breath away.

- Posted on the go

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I agree. Wholeheartedly, without reservations.