Thursday, January 15, 2009

spiced pineapple rum cake

I've been thinking a lot about dessert of late. And a recipe came to mind.

A spiced pineapple rum cake.

You're probably going wtf! But hear me out.

I was thinking... Rum is awesome, it's got rum, enough said. I kid.

Seriously though, I was thinking about getting a pineapple and extracting all the juice. Put said juice in a saucepan and reducing it with brown sugar and some cinnamon and rum. Getting a nice pineapple flavoured sugar syrup along the lines of molasses. Sticky sweet spiced goodness. Yum.

After doing that I was thinking of getting raisins and more pineapple (or using the pineapple I extracted the juice from) and soaking that overnight in rum and black coffee. Smokey rum flavoured fruit. Yum.

Once all this is done. Get flour, eggs, butter/margarine a little cinnamon powder in the correct amounts for a cake that would use molasses/golden syrup/treacle as the sweetener. Combine. Bake. Bam. Cake.

And for a topping or icing. In the spirit of keeping with the rum/spice theme. Make a sort of Chantilly Cream, instead of vanilla, we use rum mixed with cream, icing sugar and a small amount of cinnamon. Spread over cake or serve separately.

Me thinks I should getting working on this.

No comments: